Liverpool F C Away players kits 1976 - 1977      

A 1.1 A 1.2 A 1.5 A 1.6

1976-77 Away players shirt

Manufacturer: Umbro

Years worn: 1976-78 & 1978-79 to 1980-81

In this away shirt (big yellow-white UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird) Liverpool may be first played in neutral FA Charity Shield match versus Southampton, 1-0, 14.08.1976, at Wembley.

In this away shirt (big yellow-red UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird) Liverpool first played in

In this away shirt (big red-white UMBRO logo & red Liverbird) Liverpool may be first played in neutral FA Cup Final match versus Manchester United, 1-2, 21.05.1977, at Wembley.

In left  -  1976-77 Away player shirt short sleeve № 14 (big yellow UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird, unknown season used)  -  image with site Colin Wright www.lfcshirtcollector.com

In left  -  1976-77 Away player shirt long sleeve № 4 (big yellow-red UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird, unknown season used)  -  image with site Classic Football Shirts www.classicfootballshirts.co.uk

In left  -  1976-77 Home player tracksuit top  -  not now good image

In a season 1976-77 the design away shirt has changed. Liverpool used away shirt two seasons, 1976-77 & 1977-78 (about used this design home shirt in seasons 1978-79 to 1980-81 read below). Liverpool used with away shirt different kits:
  Away shorts and away socks
  Second away shorts and away socks
  Second away shorts and home socks

A 1.0 - Away shirt (big yellow-white UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird) with away shorts (black) & away socks.
  A 1.1 - Away shirt (big yellow-white UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird & special embroudery FA Charity Shield) with second away shorts & home socks.
  A 1.2 - Away shirt (big yellow-white UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird) with second away shorts & away socks.
  A 1.3 - Away shirt (big yellow-white UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird) with second away shorts & home socks.
  A 1.4 - Away shirt (big yellow-red UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird) with away shorts & away socks.
  A 1.5 - Away shirt (big yellow-red UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird) with away shorts & home socks.
  A 1.6 - Away shirt (ibig red-white UMBRO logo & red Liverbird & special embroudery FA Cup Final) with away shorts & away socks.

A 1.* - Away shirt (unknown color big UMBRO logo & Liverbird) with away shorts & away socks.
  A 1.* * - Away shirt (unknown color big UMBRO logo & Liverbird) with away shorts & home socks.
  A 1.* * * - Away shirt (unknown color big UMBRO logo & Liverbird) with second away shorts & away socks.

* * - Unknown me now which kits used in this matches, but I assume used away shirt.

In 1976 the away kit changed slightly with a V-neck replacing the collar and the embellishments on the kit becoming yellow. For some reason yellow was a very popular colour in football kits in the late 1970s. Almost all scarves at the time included a yellow stripe, irrespective of the club colours. Although it has also been said that the yellow appeared to commemorate the winning of the European Cup.

Not as more to go with end season 1976-77, but have some white hole with away shirt, and why was used away shirt with different color Umbro logo and Liverbird, 3 main variants:
  1 big yellow-white UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird
  2 big yellow-red UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird
  3 big red-white UMBRO logo & red Liverbird

I not know, used Liverpool in Friendly matches away shirt. In official matches this was first in neutral FA Charity Shield match versus Southampton (14.08.1976), was used away shirt (image 1), but interesting what in second half this match, Liverpool players to go in field at Wembley in away shirt (image 2). This change shirt was late in some matches, how:
  18.03.1978 versus Nottingham Forest, League Cup Final.

Liverpool in away matches versus Aston V (15.12.1976), was used away shirt (image 2, not good photos), in matches versus Arsenal (20.11.1976) & Middlesbrough (12.03.1977), was used away shirt (image 3). And in FA Cup Final match versus Manchester U (21.05.1977), was used away shirt (image 4). May be why help to me as how I not know which color Umbro logo was in matches * *.

This image with home match Division One versus Tottenham Hotspur (02.09.1978), show Steve Heighway (small UMBRO logo) and Graeme Souness (big UMBRO logo) in different shirts in one match. Why Graeme Souness has put on this shirt, success or for other season, can be and in some other matches, shirts of old design - with big UMBRO logo have been used. This was and in seasons 1978-79, 1979-80 & 1980-81, may be & 1981-82..

In season 1976-77, Liverpool used away shirt with special embroidery, this was for matches FA Charity Shield (14.08.1976) & FA Cup Final (21.05.1977).

1 image 2 image 3 image 4 image

Left to right: This UMBRO logos which was used on Liverpool away shirt with 1978 to 1981.

How to distinguish a away shirt of a season 1976-77, from a away shirt of a season 1977-78, very difficultly, I not know how.

A 1.0
15.12.1976   away   Aston Villa   Division One
A 1.1
14.08.1976   neutral   Southampton *   Charity Shield
A 1.2
14.08.1976   neutral   Southampton*   Charity Shield
A 1.3

A 1.4
20.11.1976   away   Arsenal   Division One
A 1.5
12.03.1977   away   Middlesbrough   Division One
11.04.1977   away   Stoke City   Division One
A 1.6
21.05.1977   neutral   Manchester United   FA Cup Final
A 1.*
16.02.1977   away   Manchester United   Division One
16.05.1977   away   Bristol City   Division One
A 1.* *
18.12.1976   away   West Ham United   Division One
A 1.* * *
20.10.1976   away   Trabzonspor  
06.11.1976   away   Sunderland   Division One
04.08.1976   away   Feyenoord   Friendly

- * In FA Charity Shield match (14.08.1976), was used in first half away shirt (big yellow-white UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird) with special embroidery, but in second half (It is not known to me for what reason) Liverpool used away shirt big yellow-white UMBRO logo & yellow Liverbird) without special embroidery.

Left to right: 1st image, embroidered club emblem (yellow). 2nd image, embroidered club emblem (red). 3rd image, player number use on Liverpool shirt for matches in different tournament. 4th image, special embroidery for match FA Charity Shield. 5th image, special embroidery for match FA Cup Final.

Some text in down and photos take with site: www.liverpoolkits.com

According to my observations on the widely available (and highly priced) replica shirts, the Liverbird on the replicas can either be felt embossed or embroidered. But the UMBRO logo and letters on the replica shirts I have seen are felt embossed. And only on a players shirt you can find it beautifully embroidered.

All player shirts must have the Umbro logo and Liverbird fully embroidered into the shirt. However, there is a mix of official replicas either with felt-velveteen Umbro motif and Liverbird, or embroidered ones.

Player's number on backside is a piece of machine-stitched cloth.

Note that Liverpool FC did not release any replicas shirts prior to season 1978-1979.

Away FA Cup Final shirt Away FA Charity Shield shirt Away shorts
Away socks Second away shorts Home socks
With the description of the shirt, shorts, socks and features. Difference between a player shirt and a replica shirt.

The goalkeeper of Liverpool F C uses in a season of 1976-77 shirts Umbro and Adidas

Show images of Liverpool F C players wearing the kits in season 1976-77

If you have any further information on any of the kits featured or omitted please contact us. I are currently researching the kits worn by Liverpool F C in individual games and would appreciate any information you may have for this season's games.

Hosted by uCoz Рейтинг@Mail.ru